Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Yeah, one of those...

Have you ever had one of those nights when you are awakened out of your bed so many times that you lose all sense of time and place? That's what last night was like here. It went something like this:

10:30ish Doze off to sleep
11:45 Wake up to Claire crying and go feed her (I would have let her cry but she's been pretty sick the last couple of days with fever and snot and all that jazz so I just can't let her cry it out. It breaks my heart to do it when she's not feeling well.)*
12:30 Halle comes in my room to say that Mia has been crying downstairs forever and keeping her awake so I go downstairs to assess the situation. Mia says her leg is really hurting so I tuck her in again, tell her to go to sleep and sing her a song in my scary middle-of-the-night voice.
1:15 Luke comes in to our room and sneaks into our bed. He's running a fever again. He's hot and he likes to flail his arms and legs. Eventually, I muster up the energy to displace him from our bed and put him in the beanbag that's on the floor of our room for just such occasions.*
2:00 Mia comes upstairs crying that her leg still hurts and wants to get in our bed. I love her but her breath is REALLY bad so I make a bed on the floor for her and get her some medicine which she doesn't want to take and I have to practically force her into her mouth (in my semi-conscious state).*
3:00 Claire wakes up crying again so I go feed her*
4:30 Luke wakes me up and says he has to go pee really bad so I take him potty*
5:00 I hear Ryan's alarm go off for the first time for him to get up for basketball*
5:35 Claire wakes up crying yet again. I know, this is getting really ridiculous.
5:50 I see Ryan leave for basketball and all I really want to do is SLEEP!*
7:30 Mia insists I wake up to get her some breakfast. I drag myself out of bed but refuse to enter the land of the happy waker-uppers (the club I usually belong to).
*I fell hard asleep in between each of these occasions except for the first time with Mia. For some reason, my imagination was going wild and I could not sleep.

What a miserable night. I mean no ill will to my spouse who can happily snore through all these interruptions with the occasionally "Wha?" as he briefly rolls over and then re-enters his slumbering. I wish I had that same gift to sleep through it all. At some point in this day I must get a nap, even if that means Dora has to do some babysitting. I'm really hoping I don't have another night like this for at least another six months. Preferably never.

7 comments:

Julie said...

No fun. I feel your pain. May there be many 1 hour Dora episodes on today just for you!

The Dragonfly said...

I have so many nights where I don't know which way is up anymore! And the sleeping part of it, be it as sporadic as it is, is filled with dreams that pause and restart with each awakening/resleep. It is bizarre and I am tired of it. And I'm just tired too.

Jacob & Tia Sampson said...

Feel for you! Hope it gets better. I am sending you happy nighttime thoughts!

Sunny said...

Oh I know your pain...it's an awful feeling. Now I keep the medicine in my dresser drawer by my bed so I can hand it out without getting out of bed. Both Emily and Ben get really bad growing pains every couple of weeks. Motrin chewables...heaven sent.

Josalyn said...

Ugh, that sounds awful. That's what TV was invented for I think.

Laura said...

Oh good gracious Christy! I have had some nights kinda like that awhile back, and I sooo sympathize with you as far as the snoring, sleeping, passed out spouse who hears none of it. Hopefully you are caught up on sleep now!

Kim said...

I'm so so sorry! I hope you got some sleep.