The other day (while I was folding laundry) I watched a show about several different people with addictions whose family/friends staged an intervention to try to convince them to go into rehab. They showed video of most of them leading up to their interventions. One mom, an alcoholic, was scrounging around the house trying to find some kind of alcohol to drink. She even dug through the garbage. She ended up finding some mouthwash to drink. It was pretty sad. Some were addicted to food, some drugs, some alcohol. It was a pretty sobering show.
A few days later I really had a hankering for something sweet. This is not a new thing. I've been trying not to buy a lot of chocolate or sweet things to have in the house because I know I don't have a lot of self-control when it's right there at my fingertips. But my sweet tooth was NOT going away. I started scrounging through cupboards looking for a morsel of chocolate or just something to satisfy my craving. I was even out of chocolate chips. Sad! And then suddenly, I had a flashback to that intervention show. I realized I probably looked a lot like that mom searching her house for alcohol. My addiction, though, is sweets. Can't get enough. I think I need to stage my own intervention and put myself in chocolate rehab. Does anyone else feel the same? Are there others out there like me?
P.S. For the record, I DID NOT go so far as to look through the garbage. I just picked out the chocolate cookies out of a cookie salad a friend had brought over the night before.
4 comments:
hmmm...I would help you out, but I would probably only be "an enabler." I usually don't let my chocolate supply run out.
I too have said that I have an addiction to chocolate. When asked how I know, for example, what happens when I don't have it, my response is, "I don't know. I've never gone off it." Maybe I need an intervention of my own.
Oh, man. I quit buying the junk I like so I wouldn't eat it as part of my New Year's resolution. Instead I scrounge around the cupboards and eat the junk I buy for my kids that I don't even like! And then I despise myself!
This is Hilarious. You guys are the best. Christy, as a mother we deprive ourselves of so many things, can't we keep our chocolate? I mean, it just makes me a nicer mom and sweeter wife, when I have had my sweet wonderful melt in my mouth chocolate. Maybe I am in denile, but that is okay with me. By the way, Amy I do the same thing, it is a sick thing, but in it you are not alone.
So funny, I did just about the same thing a couple days ago, but fortunately I did have chocolate chips to resort to.
Post a Comment