Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Honesty is NOT always the best policy

We realized this week that somehow Mia had missed two vaccinations. In order for her to keep going to preschool, we had to get her up-to-date. I figured she was four and I should just tell her the truth: that it would hurt but be over quickly. I was sure she would understand and react like a mature, reasonable person. That was the wrong decision. I think I forgot that she is only four and that all understanding goes out the window when you think of some one poking a sharp needle into your leg. As soon as I mentioned it that morning, she said she didn't want to go to preschool anymore and cried non-stop practically until the shots were over. Try wrangling a non-compliant 4 year old along with a 2 year old and 6 month old into the doctor's office. It was not an easy task. Next time I think I'm going to wait to spring the news on her until we're at least IN the doctor's office. I told her once it was over she could be "queen for the day" and choose a special treat. She just wanted an ice cream cone from Mc Donald's. Easy enough.
Let's just say that Luke lucked out to get an ice cream cone as well. Mia just said his could not be as big as hers since he didn't get any shots. Fair enough.
Of course, Claire was along for the ride, as always. And cute as can be. Can you believe she's 6 months old already? Yeah, me neither.

3 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

Never ever reveal that shots are coming. In fact, I play dumb up until the moment the Dr. mentions it as the nurse is walking in with a tray of shots. Makes me look like the good guy. :)

ps. Is Claire already sitting up? Must work on my lazy Ollie.

Sunny said...

Yes, I agree with Sam...never mention the "S" word until the nurse comes in and you have to restrain the child. That's when you promise treats to be the good guy.

Melanie said...

Too cute : ) I'm sitting here reading with Sophia and she says, "Can we stay on that baby picture? I want to look at her. She's so cute!" hahahaha Just wait until your baby is too old to be called "baby" . . . sigh!