Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tales of Potty Training (Volume 4: Luke)

I have a friend with 4 kids, 3 of which are boys. She swore to me that 2 is the magic number for potty training boys, while they still want to please you and before they become too independent. I had my doubts but she also let me know none of her boys were talking at 2 (like Luke) and she was still successful. She told me her method and told me the first few days would be hell but that it would be worth it. My plan was to stay home and not leave the house but unfortunately we had some interruptions (visiting teaching, doctor appts. for earaches, etc.). I am open to any advice anyone would like to share, especially related to potty training boys. So far, here are our stats. Day one: 7 accidents, one success. Day two: 2 accidents, one success. Day three (so far): 5 successes (including #2)!!! I don't want to hold my breath (or give up too soon) so we'll see how the rest of the week goes. As you can see, I learned he is more relaxed sitting on the potty if I let him watch a show. 

5 comments:

Allie said...

My word he looks cute on that potty! I agree with 2 being the magic number, it worked twice for me! Let's cross our fingers for the third...

Kath said...

I cannot believe you said hell. Go Luke go and please forgive your mother her potty mouth.

The Dragonfly said...

He is more comfortable if he sits on the potty, watches a show AND sucks his fingers. AWE-SOME!

I trained both my boys at 3 with no problems, so I can't give you advice here. But I will say that I hope it works, because as I'm sure you know, having two in diapers is also like hell.

Megan said...

Well, I can add my 2 cents also, for that is what it is probably worth . . . but, I say if you've started, stick it out, even if it takes longer than you planned - the key is in the committment (I can't even spell that) because if you go back to diapers or pull-ups and they figure out they have an "out" its much worse than having a few extra accidents by waiting it out. My 3 oldest have trained at 2 - and planning on that for #4 next year, boys and girls included. I even potty trained one when she came to work with me - and the bathroom was one for the whole building, not even in my office, and sometimes I would be on the phone or with a client, etc - man that was tuff, but we did it, even though I was tempted to give up and try later. I think in the long run its the best way to go. Good luck to you both! And, I like his choice of fingers, my #4 uses the same ones - too cute!! (And sorry for the long winded response, but I hope its helps!!)

Jessica said...

Wow! you are brave! I just waited until my boys were 3.. or so..and it took two days and done. I am a believer in waiting until they are older and not making myself crazy over it. He is not going to go to kindergarten with a diaper in his backpack... That said, we are all different and I hope it works for you! I think I am just lazy. Good luck! He is a cutie! :)