Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lump in my throat


As most of you know, Luke has been in speech therapy for a little over a year. An awesome speech pathologist (we miss you, Monique!) made a weekly visit and pretty much taught me what things would be helpful for Luke. It was great and he has made tremendous progress. Now that he's three, he is transitioning to the school district and will be attending a speech group once a week for a little over an hour. A little bus comes to the house and picks him up and everything. As soon as he found out he was going to be riding on the bus, he was so excited. He talked about it all the time and would tell anyone who would listen that he was going to be riding the bus. Ryan and I were a little nervous that once the bus actually showed up to get him, he would change his mind and be afraid. We even bought a bribery toy just in case. Well, we were wrong. Luke practically ran out to the bus and marched up the stairs just like a big kid. It was his mom who almost cried. Watching my little barely-three year old get on that bus put a big lump in my throat that I had to swallow as I watched them pull away. It was a moment that won't quickly fade from my memory. I was so worried about him. Mia and Claire and I went to Target while he was gone and I kept finding myself looking down for Luke and then remembering he wasn't there. Silly, I know. I missed that little guy. When he got home he had a big smile on his face and gave me a big hug. It helped calm my worries when he told me what a great time he had and how nice his teacher was. I guess I'm going to make it and maybe the lump in my throat will be a little smaller next week. I can only hope.

6 comments:

Kath said...

I'd be worried. It looks like your bus driver is sleeping on the job.

The Dragonfly said...

What a big boy! He's so, so cute. You did great momma.

Amber King said...

I almost got a lump in my throat just reading the post. But that's awesome that he did so well. Luke looks so old in the picture.

Josh n' Joni said...

I can't believe he is big enough to be going places on the bus. Sigh.
On a lighter note, do you have a picture of the cake Addy decorated for Luke? I'd love to see what the creative little gal did.

The NC Hansens said...

Oh my Cuteness! Luke is so happy to be on that bus.

Sunny said...

Cute little guy. I think I would have cried. I'm glad he was totally excited about it.