Monday, March 8, 2010

Can we build it? Yes, we can (and did)!

A few weeks back, my sister told me about this lovely little blog called Knockoff Wood. She creates plans to build all kinds of knock off Pottery Barn, etc. furniture and the plans are FREE! I checked it out and got inspired. We had been looking for a train/activity table for Luke and hadn't come across anything we loved that we were willing to fork out the dough for. The Pottery Barn Activity Table is a whopping $349. I had to twist Ryan's arm a little but he eventually caved and agreed to build it. Ryan built a workbench and some shelves in our garage a few years back and I knew he could do it. I went to Lowe's and got everything we needed for around $80. Luke was so excited when I told him what we were building. I took a few pictures of the process to prove we really did it ourselves (in our basement storage room since it was so cold outside).
Here's the initial frame...

With support added...


And the tabletop and edge. Wah-lah!


Here's the builder at work (with sawdust flying and everything). Please don't be jealous of my broad-chested, good-looking husband with his terrific smile.


I was hesitant to let Luke help me paint it but it is HIS table after all. He had been begging me to paint it for about 2 weeks. Thankfully, we got some warmer weather that made it ideal to paint it in the garage and I just used the leftover paint from his room. Cost: $0.

Ta-dah! The table is done and the kids have LOVED playing on it. Luke's been in there non-stop the past two days.
P.S. The carts that go underneath are almost done. They will really be the finishing touch so I'll probably have to post more pictures when they are completed. I'd been getting some pressure from those who knew of my project to post pictures right away and not delay any longer. What do you think? Now I need to convince Ryan to build that sideboard/buffet I've been wanting....

6 comments:

Julie said...

I LOVE the table! Good job guys! I also loved Ryan's gun show if you know what I mean! Niiice!

Kath said...

Men always look good when they're doing men work. I tell Dan this all the time to get him to do more projects. It hasn't worked to well so far. The table looks great by the way.

Monique said...

Christy!! I should be leaving a comment on a picture of Luke, but his table will suffice! Please wish him a happy birthday! I know it's coming up soon!
How are you all? I miss you and Luke. I'm glad you have your blog, so I can still see cute Luke! And be inspired by how awesome of a Mom and person you are!
We are loving Colorado and almost have a house (we close next week:)). We are happy to be here but miss all our friends from Kansas.
Love, Monique

Amber said...

ok, that is my new favorite site! Jim just lost all his free time! lol. Thanks!!

bfav said...

ich bin impressed.

Sunny said...

Oh I'm impressed...I didn't know Ryan could build things? I knew you were super crafty...but my brother...way to go Bro. I want one, it looks awesome!