(Image courtesy Google Winfield Primary School site)
My girls came home from school this week complaining about P.E. They normally both LOVE P.E. Dodgeball, basketball, volleyball are all sports they enjoy playing. This week they are doing cup stacking. Really? What is the point? In case you're emptying your dishwasher in a real hurry? Give me a break. Cup stacking is NOT a sport. Sorry if you're really in love with it or something. Sorry if you actually disagree with me because you're a closet cup stacker. Addy said she thinks it's to make the kids who normally struggle at the "real" sports feel good. The ones who are the first ones out in dodgeball. I will be the first to admit that my girls got most of their athletic prowess from their dad. Probably about 85%. I'll take credit for the other 15%. I was one of those first ones out in dodgeball back in my day. But I really don't think taking up cup stacking is the answer. Instead, my plan is to prove that non-athleticism isn't a curse for life. You can still decide to take up a sport as an adult even if you're not the best. Thus my triathlon training. I don't plan on coming in first place come June. I just plan on finishing with a smile on my face. And, if not, maybe I need to start secretly timing myself while emptying the dishwasher.
P.S. I just found out the WSSA World Sport Stacking Competition takes place April 10-11th. Set your DVRs, folks!

4 comments:
Um, yeah. I'm with you 100% on this. I LOVE it when we celebrate mediocrity!! Whatever happened to "practice makes perfect'? So what do they do for kids who aren't good at math or reading? Forgo it? Or how about kids who aren't great at art...should they be allowed to just play wii instead. I really don't see how this can count as PE. It just doesn't make sense sometimes. (I don't have strong feelings or opinions or anything)
Anyhow, just had your site up and Nate saw it from across the room, "Stacking Cups!" (his enthusiasm was more out of recognition than excitement for this, dare it say it, sport?)He says they do it in PE too. I asked him why, he responded, "I don't know." I don't know why either, Nate.
Christy, Nolan came home this week saying the same thing! He said on the first day "today, I actually hated PE. We had to do something that nobody wants to do....cup stacking." It was so funny, and to be honest he is NOT a sports enthusiast.
I also loved your mobile repurposing project. Wherever did you find those cute flowers?! ;)
I don't think I would call myself a closet cup stacker, however, I own a set and the dvd. I made my kids at school try it one year, then I made my whole family try it. You would not believe the amount of coordination that it requires - and the speed of the cup-stacking kids. It is quite a challenge; mental and physical.
Be a hater if you want, Christy. I, for one (apparently the only one, judging by your other comments), am not.
Let me know if you want to borrow my set. :) I'll expect your call soon.
Yea that is lame. Doesn't P.E. stand for physical exercise. What are they exercising?
Post a Comment