Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Addy's mad skills

I had grand plans to make Luke this amazing train cake for his birthday. I had looked at about a million pictures online of train cakes and I figured it would be a cinch. I had some ideas and began the decorating on the afternoon of his actual birthday. I had made a couple of cakes in mini loaf pans in preparation. After about 15 minutes, I was so frustrated I was ready to scream. Actually, let's be honest here. I did do a little yelling because the house was a disaster and I took my frustration (about the cake) out on the kids (because of the crazy mess they had created). After some cooling down and apologizing on my part, I took the partially frosted cake pieces and put them all in the freezer and put myself in a time-out. Luke was so wiped out on his actual birthday (he fell asleep in my arms around 7) I decided we would wait to celebrate with cake until Friday evening when the cousins would be here. My first attempt at the train looked more like a sorry-looking truck. Addy kept trying to advise me how we could improve it so I decided to turn the cake decorating over to her, who had been complaining of boredom all afternoon anyway. She did an AMAZING job. The proof is in the pictures. She had no help and I think it turned out incredible, especially considering she's only an almost ten year old. The real proof was when Luke saw it and said "that awesome!" That made her feel pretty good about all her hard work.




3 comments:

Megan said...

That is super cool. I'd put her in charge every birthday - in fact, is she free to make a trip to Utah the end of April? Elle's been talking about a Dora, Boots, and Swiper cake for at least 6 months, and I don't think I can talk her out of it. Yikes!! If I can't pour the mix from the box already looking like them, I'm sunk. I have zero skills. :(

Josh n' Joni said...

I'd say mad skills! Good job Addy! Thanks for posting as per my request...and so timely, too. Will you rub my back now? :)

Amber King said...

Nice job Addy! That looks awesome.