Friday, February 5, 2010

Tools of the trade

I've just come to the realization that I bake A LOT. Just thought I would highlight the tools that get a lot of use at our house making breads, cookies, rolls, etc. First, my handy-dandy KitchenAid and my darling almost three-year-old helper (who likes to pull silly faces).
My fabulous stainless steel measuring spoons (and cups-not pictured) that we received for our wedding over 12 years ago. I am amazed we haven't lost or destroyed any in the disposal.

We definitely buy in bulk at Sam's Club. My neighbors couldn't believe I bought flour in a 25 pound bag (I store it in that white container). I didn't bother to tell them how quickly we actually go through it, either (one bag about every 2-3 months).

My favorite trick is to freeze cookie dough balls whenever I make cookies. That way, if we ever feel the need for some cookies in a pinch, we can just throw some in the oven and waste no time eating them with a glass of milk. I just tried a new cookie recipe I'm a big fan of. You can find it here. Thanks, Sam.
If I were you, I'd stop reading now and go make/eat some cookies. That's what I'm going to do. If you live close enough, feel free to stop by. I don't mind sharing.

3 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

I feel like I've just had this epiphany too - I love to bake and I do it ALOT! Instead of a KitchenAid, we have a Bosch. And we're still using the tupperware measuring cups/spoons we got as a wedding gift. I am about ready to upgrade though and think I'll make my way to the WilliamsSonomoa outlet for metal cups and spoons.

Amy said...

I love the idea of freezing cookie dough balls! Do they slowly disappear from your freezer? I'm not sure how much restraint I would have . . .

And I've been reading you on google reader for a while, and I just realized I've been missing your oh-so-greats and not-so-greats! That's my favorite part of your blog! So goodbye, google reader. And I'm glad you liked Hunger Games.

Anonymous said...

yyuuummm, I think I'll go try these cookies...right now. :) This week we bought 50 lb bags of spelt berries (for our flour) and steel oats. I luv luv luv bulk! I luv your metal measuring cups and spoons! xoxo, trina