As it came close to boarding time, I heard my flight to Joplin had been cancelled and that a new gate would be opening up to help reschedule all travelers to another flight. I quickly hopped up and made my way over to the new gate. I was the first in line and was able to get booked on a flight leaving a little later into Springfield, MO. I quickly phoned Ryan, who would be picking me up, to let him know that my flight had been cancelled and I was booked on another flight to Springfield. I wasn't aware of the extreme circumstances regarding the cancellation to Joplin. As I sat in the new gate other passengers surrounded me, telephoning their loved ones in Joplin. I was quickly made aware of the horrible tornado that had occurred only minutes earlier. I tried to call Ryan and let him know of the dangerous storm that was moving east (in the path he would be taking to pick me up). He was already en route with the kids since the new destination was more than 2 hours away. I wasn't able to reach him as there are many dead zones through that remote area (as well as the bad storm that was raging). As I looked at the radar someone pulled up on their laptop, I became VERY concerned about their safety. I quickly texted our immediate family members to pray for their safety. As family members turned to the weather on TV and online, they also became very concerned about the area Ryan would be traveling through. I was facing my fear landscape and it was very real. We were finally able to get in touch and I found out that Ryan had stopped at a gas station/liquor store with the kids and sought shelter there. The little town he had stopped in was
in the middle of the massive storm. At the airport, I was a nervous wreck. I couldn't stop worrying about my little family and how they were doing. It didn't help that the only TV on at the airport was playing a basketball game instead of the current weather situation. We were also in a severe thunderstorm warning and tornado watch at the airport in Dallas.
To make a long story a little bit shorter, Ryan was able to make it out and continue to Springfield in between calmer periods of the storm. My flight finally arrived a little before midnight and I was so overjoyed to see my family and know they were ok. We carefully tracked the radar on our phones and avoided what was left of the storm as we made our way home, arriving around 2 am. It was a long, emotional night.
The next morning as I watched footage on tv of the destruction in Joplin, I was overcome with emotions. It was scary to think how close we could have come to disaster. Just a few minutes later and Ryan would have been on his way to Joplin with all our kids when the tornado hit. It was scary to think that I almost flew into the town that was decimated by a massive tornado. I was also overcome with gratitude for the protection we were given and all the prayers that were sent our way. It was such a scary night and I was so grateful that all turned out well for our little family. And I also felt so sad for all those affected by this horrible tragedy and the aftermath they will now face in picking up the pieces and digging out for months. A team from our church sent into the Joplin area said it looks worse than New Orleans or the tsunami a few years ago. I don't think pictures or even video from TV does it justice.
A group of 200 from our church will be heading in this weekend to be of assistance. I would love to be a part of the crew that goes in to help but someone will need to stay and take care of our 5 children. Pretty sure that job will fall to me. In the mean time, I will support Ryan as he heads to Joplin, try to donate blood and keep the people of Joplin and other areas that have been affected by this horrific weather in my prayers.
3 comments:
We're all so grateful that Ryan and your children are safe. It has been eye opening to see the fury of these storms as they've destroyed lives and homes. We're praying for every one in Joplin and now Oklahoma.
Super scary. Glad you're all ok. :)
Christy, I was watching footage of the wreckage yesterday for almost an hour!! It is a miracle that you are all safe and sound! I'm SO grateful that you were all protected. Prayer works! :D
Post a Comment