Mother’s Day this year was really nice. I was asked to speak in church. Honestly, I was really annoyed most of the week stewing about why I should speak when it should be my bi-annual day off from all things unpleasant. Preparing a talk and speaking in church=unpleasant. Saturday afternoon Ryan took over the kids and gave me a few hours. I found my favorite spot (outside on our patio on a beautiful day) and read and read inspired messages about motherhood and women. As I read, my attitude changed. I was filled with gratitude for the opportunity I have to be a woman and a mother and what a sacred and special role it is. I realized that it was really a blessing to be able to have this time to reflect on what a gift it is and what I can do to be a better mother and enjoy it more.
Sunday morning Addy prepared and served me a delicious breakfast in bed. I had a relaxing morning as Ryan took over the majority of the load of getting everyone ready. It was a beautiful sunny day, which always makes me happy. At church, I felt good about the message I was able to share and it made me happy to hear the words that I had shared had helped other women as well. I took the majority of my talk from here and a few snippets from here.
As for the afternoon, I think the kids tried not to fight. Tried being the key word here. Such is life. I wish I knew the magical formula to eliminate all fighting, whining, and complaining. If I did, I’d write a book and be a millionaire. I just have to keep on trying to teach them to get along, be happy and be grateful for what they have.
I am grateful for my mother and the many women who have been great examples to me in my life. They have all helped me and continue to help me become the mother I want to be. Happy belated Mother’s Day to you all.
2 comments:
I'm glad your attitude about giving the talk changed, but I agree, moms shouldn't have to speak in church on Mother's Day! :)
You're such a good mom, Christy! In our ward they had all men speak so none of the women would have to worry about speaking on mother's day. But I bet your talk was great :)
Post a Comment