Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Promotions and number twos

Sorry for this somewhat scandalous post about the potty. First, I just have to say that I am so happy Luke is potty trained but I have learned it is not EASIER than diapers, just cheaper and comes with motherhood fulfillment, like I have accomplished something wonderful. It kind of feels like getting a promotion in the motherhood realm. All the other mothers give you a pat on the back. But we all know promotions come with more responsibility and thus... my explanation. This morning I had just sat down to the table and poured milk into my cereal bowl when Luke did his tell-tale "I have to potty" dance. So I left my cereal and escorted him to the bathroom. It was a quick trip and I was back at the table shortly. Two bites later, it was "Mom, poo-poo!" followed by the dance again. Back to the potty we went, with a successful result but my cereal was getting soggy. As much as I tried to convince Luke to sit a little longer, that he may not be finished, he refused to listen. We had four successful trips to the potty in all during the TEN minutes it took for my cereal to get soggy. His number two schedule hasn't been as consistent as it was in diaper days so we're learning to adjust. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to eating soggy cereal for awhile. 


P.S. For the record, Mia also has a magical way of timing her number twos right as we are sitting down to dinner and she still needs help wiping. Thus, I am usually lucky enough to have at least 2 meals a day interrupted by the dreaded number two.  Maybe we'll just keep this next baby in diapers until kindergarten. 

3 comments:

Josh n' Joni said...

ha! Nothing like a good number two to ruin your breakfast and dinner. I hate soggy cereal. Maybe you can just pour the cereal so he thinks you are ready to eat, and pour the milk after trip #4. Good luck!

The Dragonfly said...

This post is exactly why I am now pregnant with #4 well after #3 could wipe himself. Feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

hi there beautiful, i was thinking about luke & the potty today...and here is your wonderful post! Last night the dancer and I visited the potty 4 times or more during dinner, and yes it got cold. Tonight we were watching my brother brigham's volleyball game and had just seen him at a fabulous save...it was the final moments of the fourth game (we were awaiting their win),and the builder had a call for number two. (he still needs help wiping as well)...when we returned the game was over and i was scolded for missing his winning serve. What can a momma do when number 2 is calling! :) oh the joys!

Excited to have you on mmb! luvs, treen