Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Perspective

This week I had the chance to visit with some women older than myself who are currently in a different phase of life with no children at home. They each shared their wisdom with me and helped me remember to enjoy this particular period in my life. So...instead of being frustrated with the constant mess of little cut up papers all over my house...I am going to appreciate that I have bright, creative children who love to write, cut, draw and read all day.

Instead of being angry about the cereal Luke purposefully dumped out all over my floor, I am going to be happy that I have a little boy who loves to help me clean.

I am going to try and savor each moment, like watching Luke and Mia as they practically smother Claire with their hugs and love for her.
I am going to try to remember that the laundry, the dishes, the sweeping and mopping are just a labor of love and minor distractions from the things that are really important. Moments like these:

I know I will forget again and again and need the reminder to let the dishes pile up, leave the dirty floor for tomorrow and dance with the kiddos. So if you hear me complaining, remind me to read this post.

5 comments:

Josh n' Joni said...

We weren't there, but I heard that you've at least got your husband back now!

Megan said...

I really loved what Pres Monson's said last October conference that ended up being the theme for our family Christmas page last year. He talked about enjoying the journey of life - and he specifically said that one day you would look around and miss the endless piles of laundry, etc because those little things disappear all too soon. It really affected me and helps bring things back into perspective when things get tough. Anyway, I'm sure you remember it, but it was what I thought of when I read this. You are doing a GREAT job - you have the CUTEST family, and you know you are awesome! Keep smiling and loving those kiddos!

Jessica said...

So you are coming to St Louis?? Besides the fact that you SHOULD come and see us!! No advice other than go to the Louis and Clark Trail thing! Very cool!! And right there go back into where the bank, water thing, Library, grocery store etc stuff is. Super cute! And You SHOULD come and see us! We are right off the freeway if you need a potty stop in Columbia!Have fun! :)

Ondalynn said...

Thanks for you sharing your "perspective". All young moms need to be reminded of it often! I know I do! :) p.s. my girls like to cut up paper too! AAAAHHH!

Sadie said...

I needed to read your post today. As I read, I thought, that is so how my days go. Thanks for sharing.