Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Joy of Motherhood Comes in Moments



Yesterday was one of the hardest days so far since my "Mother of 5" title was given. I just felt overwhelmed, frustrated, angry, guilty, tired, (hormonal?) etc. throughout the day. Fighting kiddos, messes to be cleaned, laundry to be folded, meals to be made, baths to be given, etc. It was a little too much and I felt like I just couldn't possibly do it all, much less do it any of it well. It was a rough day, to say the least. I practically crashed as soon as the kiddos were down and slept off my bad day. When I woke up this morning, Halle joined me on the couch with Claire. She was looking so cute and we started talking to her in the sing-songy voice that most of us use when talking to ones so little. She immediately broke out into the biggest smiles we have seen thus far, definitely NOT caused by gas or anything but the happiness of talking with her mommy and big sis. It brought me so much happiness and reminded me of one of my all-time favorite conference talks by Elder M. Russell Ballard, "First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction." This was one of those times. Halle quickly grabbed the camera and we caught some of those shining moments of joy for you all to see.

4 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

You and me - we're in the same boat sister! The frustration, the exhaustion, the guilt and the little rays of sunshine that poke through the clouds with a smile or an extra long nap! Hang in there - you're amazing.

Megan said...

Perfect in her little "giggle" jammies! Her smiles are so adorable even I felt re-charged and ready to tackle the motherly duties that I ignored yesterday, aka the monster pile of dishes and even more monstery pile of laundry . . . But first, I have to hit the girls' closet - there isn't any room to put anymore away if I actually got to that pile of laundry, nor is there any room for the new back to school clothes. And since I found a 12-18 month T-shirt shoved in there the other day, I think its time. Even J.D. has outgrown that! ha ha. Hope today goes better for you! You're great!

Amy said...

This was a great post for me to read . . . thanks for the perspective!

And, what a stunning smile!

bfav said...

smiles definitely make it worth it.