Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Do as I say, not as I do


I know that’s the worst motto but, as a parent, sometimes that’s life. I want my kids to have healthy eating habits so I don’t let them pig out and indulge their every craving for sweets. I steer them towards fresh fruit and vegetables as much as possible. To be clear, I’m not a super regulator or health food nut. (I kind of wish I was but it is what it is). We have sugar cereal and I let them eat sweets and candy. I just try to make sure those are seen as a treat and not an everyday after-school snack. If they tell me they’re hungry, I tell them where to find an apple or peach or grapes, etc. I just need to learn to tell myself that more often. Now as long as they don’t find me in the closet with the Swiss Cake Rolls, we’ll be all right.

4 comments:

Julie said...

We must be related because after the kids went to bed last night I had 2 pkgs (4 individual) swiss cake rolls and loved every bite.

bfav said...

I'm personally addicted to chocolate covered walnuts and I won't share. I think a swiss cake roll is a perfectly fine pick-me-up after a day with 5 kids.

christy said...

Thanks for the love, ladies.

Sunny said...

You're doing great Christy! I'm a dietitian and I do the same thing.