CAUTION: There are some graphic images below that are not for the squeamish. Look away, Ryan! Look away!
Eight and a half years and three girls and we had never made a trip to the emergency room. We feel that our number was up and it just took a boy to change that. Thanks, Luke.
This afternoon Luke was playing with the barstools in our kitchen. He was sitting on one of the lower rungs and I could tell it was about to topple over. I couldn't get there in time but I expected he would have a good bump to the head and that was about it. As soon as I got there I saw blood everywhere. I could tell it was coming from his hand so I quickly scooped him up and rinsed it in the kitchen sink. What I saw made me panic. The tip of Luke's finger was barely attached by a small piece of skin (sorry for the graphic description but I did warn you). I freaked out and quickly called our good friends who thankfully happen to be our pediatrician as well. He told me to wrap it in a wet towel and get to the emergency room as quickly as possible. I called a friend who drove me there while I held Luke and called Ryan to meet us.
Luke was a trooper. Considering the situation, he was soooo good. He fell asleep on the way there and remained calm while they looked at it. Luckily, they decided they could stitch it back without calling a plastic surgeon in. They didn't even have to restrain him while they stitched it. He cried really good when they numbed it up but then he just calmly watched and then even fell asleep part way through. Thankfully, Ryan managed to hold it together as well and not faint though we had a few touch-and-go moments where I thought I was going to lose him to the floor. Luckily, the nurse sat between Ryan and his view of Luke's finger while they stitched. It was a fun afternoon. I'm sure this won't be our last trip to the ER but hopefully we'll stay away for a while.
Here's Luke snoozing while he waited for the stitches. Another HUGE blessing is that it's not his special fingers that he likes to suck on. I don't know what we would do if it had been those fingers. It would have been all over.
Graphic shot of Luke's finger AFTER 8 stitches. They couldn't keep his fingernail.
Luke snoozing away waiting to be bandaged up, bloody hand and all.
Here's Luke flipping the bird. Sorry, but Ryan and I could not stop laughing once it was all bandaged up like this. Good times.
12 comments:
How sad. I hope he gets better quickly.
OOOOOHHHH! That's so sad....poor little guy! Get better soon...and let us know if there's anything we can do to help... :) As a side note...he's totally gonna get chics with that scar!!
He looks like such a sweet, peaceful little baby sleeping in that picture! Poor guy! And poor Mom!
I am glad that he survived it okay and I am sure it won't be your last visit to the ER. I hope you are doing okay.
Wow! How scary! What a little trooper, and you too! Poor guy. Glad they could save his finger!!! He sure is cute!
-Tiff
Oh, those pictures look like us last year with Jake. He was a year at the time and one of our girls slammed his fingers in the door. It severed the last two tips of his fingers on his right hand. It was pretty traumatic and luckily they were able to save his fingernails. But pretty hard to take. Hope he's hanging in there! Poor little guy.
Poor guy!! But I am laughing so hard that he just flipped me off! :)
Sad for little Luke... but what a trooper! And kudos for you for handling it so well. Seriously, like a pro.
Poor, poor Luke. I am glad it all worked out okay. What a scary day!
poor little guy! hope he's doing alright! You are brave, I would have been the one passing out and Stephen would have been the brave one! Miss you guys!
That makes me feel so bad. Poor little guy. Too bad you weren't here in OH, you could have had several Dr.s jumping at the chance to stitch him up :) Glad he is doing alright.
Oh my WORD!! This exact thing happened with our second child! The barstool took off the tip of her right ring finger. She has only a sliver of a finger nail left. She was barely over a year old. Weird.
Post a Comment