Sunday, November 1, 2009

Homemade Halloween

I can't forget to show off our non-Star Wars Halloween costumes as well. My mom made a lot of our Halloween costumes growing up and I know Patsy (Ryan's mom) did the same. There's something about making the costumes that I love. I hope someday the kids will fondly remember that I spent hours crafting and creating their costumes so that no one would have the same one. Even if they don't, it's a memory for me.

This year Mia wanted to be a butterfly, which was actually the costume I made for Halle 2 years ago and I think one of my all-time favorites. I just love the way the wings look like a real monarch. She actually said she wanted to be a caterpillar, then a chrysalis and then turn into a butterfly but I think one costume for Halloween is sufficient.

Here she is with her preschool teacher, Mrs. Boatwright.

Addy wanted to be a hippie this year. Hers was super easy. We just took some jeans that were almost too small and turned them into bell bottoms. She wore some super sweet huge peace sign earrings a friend had given her for her birthday this year. Sadly, this picture from their costume parade at school is the only one I got. She had volleyball practice right before our church party (where my battery died) and then she went and spent the night with her best friend to go trick or treating so I didn't get to snap a picture then either.

Halle chose to be a princess this year but she was very clear she did NOT want to be a Disney Princess. According to her, that would have been lame. She chose to be a medieval princess and the pattern she chose intimidated me at first but, happily, it turned out alright.

We also put her hair in sponge rollers the night before and then braided the sides up over the top. She felt like it was the perfect princess hair so all was well.

P.S. I just had to post one more shot of a worn-out Princess Leia buckled in tight.

4 comments:

Josh n' Joni said...

You are so clever and patient to make all of those. They look so great - good job!

Ondalynn said...

Your amazing Christy! I have yet to actually sew a halloween costume for any of my children. The closest I've come to is making cat ears!
The butterfly wings are wonderful! How did you do that?

Megan said...

Oh, wow - those wings are awesome. I vetoed a butterfly (before we were offered the poodle) because I was too chicken to make wings. ha ha. They look great, and the not-Disney-princess is so cute! Great color! And of course, Star Wars is always a hit -love the buns!!

Anonymous said...

All of the costumes are incredible! I loved every single one. I'm with Ondy...are the wings hard? You're amazing lady! luvs, trina