Sunday, August 10, 2008

One last hurrah!

We had some unseasonably mild weather last Friday so we decided to go on a spur-of-the-moment camping trip with the kiddos. Our friends, the Nelsons, had told us about a great campground only 25 minutes away so we packed up the car and took off.
And I wonder why the kids always pull weird faces in pictures...
This one only took about 5 shots to get one where everyone was smiling!
Luke enjoyed the fire pit and loved throwing in rocks or anything else he could get his hands on. I think camping is his thing. He just loved the freedom to roam around the campsite picking up bugs, rocks, etc. He was in heaven.
I love this shot though it's blurry. It's so true to each of their personalities: Luke always going, going, going and Mia our little girly-girl.
Halle loved the smores. I think she almost overdosed. If it has sugar in it, Halle loves it.
Mia enjoyed sneaking in and out of the tent about a hundred times. She kept disappearing, even after dark with no flashlight. She would just head over to the tent and play inside for awhile with her glow-in-the-dark bracelet courtesy of Grandma Leah.
I think she also enjoyed some quality Dad time.
We had a long night with Addy in the tent. All the other kids slept pretty well. To explain, there were a lot of spiders around our campfire and picnic table up in the trees. We were fascinated and spent some time watching with our flashlights as they spun their webs. I guess Addy wasn't so much fascinated as she was terrified. ALL night long she was half-awake going on and on about how she was sure there was a spider on her making a web. Ryan kept calmly explaining there were no spiders in the tent and doing "spider checks" with the flashlight throughout the tent to prove it to her. Needless to say, neither Ryan or I got much sleep. I think next time somebody might get a good dose of Nyquil before bed.
We did finally get Addy up and out of the tent in the morning. She could hardly remember the commotion she caused the night before. Overall, we had a great time and can't wait to go back.