Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kansas City Temple Open House

Ever since the Kansas City Temple was announced, I have been so excited. I've followed its progress and looked forward to the day when we could take our family and walk through the temple together. We have some good Kansas friends that aren't members of our church who were happy to come with us and check it out themselves. 

When I went to reserve tickets online, the weekends had filled up quickly and the options weren't plentiful. I settled on the earliest time available: 5:30 PM. We had a busy morning of soccer games and then left our house at 1PM that afternoon. The drive took exactly 3 hours and 15 minutes and we were happy to finally be out of the car. I won't say it was coincidence that our old Topeka ward was scheduled to volunteer in the temple that evening. I consider it a tender mercy for sure. We were so excited to be able to see so many old friends under such special circumstances. We met the Farmers and got in line. When we reached the front of the line, our tour guides were no other than Matt and Jen Toland. We were ecstatic! It couldn't have been a better couple to guide us through this beautiful place. They are great friends of ours and actually know the Farmers also. Walking through the temple was a special experience. It is such a sacred place. I was so happy we could do it with our family and good friends. It made it even that more special. It's not an experience I will soon forget and hope the same for our children and the Farmer family.





2 comments:

Jeff&Rachel said...

I remember when that temple was announced as well and I am excited to see that your family as well as our other Topeka friends have been able to enjoy experiences there already. Thanks for sharing - it brought tears to my eyes.

Josh n' Joni said...

Ah! You must have been there the same time we were! We saw everyone from Kaw Valley too - and considered it a tender mercy as well. I just wish Jeff and Rachel were there. And that we saw you guys. And that the Tolands were our tour guides.
Glad you made it up.