Thursday, March 22, 2012

Healthy Habits Challenge

Back in January, I started a challenge with some ladies in my area. It was to last for 12 weeks and we could earn points by doing the following each day:


1. Scripture Study daily for at least 10 minutes.
2. Personal prayer-at least twice a day.
3. Journal-at least one paragraph.
4. Exercise-30 minutes daily.
5. No Junk Food.
6. Eat Breakfast within one hour of getting up.
7. No eating after 8pm.
8. Get at least 7 hours of sleep but no more than 9
9. Get 6-8 servings of fruits and veggies, at least 3 need to be veggies.
10. Drink 64oz. of water a day.

We all put in $20 for the challenge and there will be two winners: whoever loses the biggest percentage of weight and whoever earns the most points. Thankfully, I am very competitive and don't like to lose. I had the lead for the first 7 weeks and then another lady took the lead. I've been working hard to regain my lead but most of all, I've been so happy with how great it's made me feel. I've tried my hardest to get 10 points everyday and I've learned a lot. I am a happier, nicer mother if I read my scriptures daily BEFORE everything else. I have more patience and my day goes so much better. Physically I feel so much better drinking so much water and making sure I eat my servings of fruits and veggies. That was probably one of the hardest things in the beginning but now I have become addicted to a green smoothie every day full of spinach and various fruits and veggies. I liked that I could still have dessert as long as I wasn't snacking on junk food. I've also gotten into the habit of writing in a journal every night as I go to bed. I just use my phone and write down a little bit about the day as I'm lying in bed.

Whether I win or lose, this challenge has been so good for me. It has helped me develop some great habits. I have grown to love exercise and have really missed it the handful of days that I've missed. I'm looking forward to doing a "Warrior Dash" race with Ryan in May that is a 5k with 12 different obstacles along the way. It has also helped me really appreciate Sunday as a day of rest, as that has been our one day of week we take off from the challenge. When our challenge officially ends, I'm going to try to continue to try to keep all the habits I have developed. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck.

1 comments:

Josh n' Joni said...

That sounds really great! How many people are involved? I would like to do something like that and wonder how it got started. Hope you are doing well down there. We sure miss you guys.