Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ryan knows best (aarrrggh!)

The weekend before Christmas we decided to take a trip up to the FREEZING winter wonderland of Minneapolis to visit Livy and Kusch. We got in lots of good cousin time and were glad to be there to celebrate Zoe's birthday. It was a great time despite the super, super cold temperatures. It made me really appreciate the weather here in Kansas, where I used to think it got cold. Twenty degrees feels fabulous in comparison to -18. 

I wasn't going to write about this but I know Ryan won't let me live it down if I don't mention our trip home and the small, insignificant incident that occurred. I have to start out by mentioning that Ryan is a big-time backseat driver. I think he tries not to be but he doesn't succeed. The whole trip he gave me helpful reminders, one of which was to stay in the right-hand lane unless I was passing someone. It's not that I think that's bad advice, it's just that I guess I don't see why it matters if no one is coming up behind you. I always pull over if someone is behind me.Anyway, I was driving the second leg of our trip home and had the cruise control set at 77 (the speed limit was 70). It was dark and it wasn't until I was pretty close that I realized I was coming up on a state trooper on my right. I slowed down to 70 but still passed him. After a few miles, I sped back up to around 74 and thought I was in the clear. Just as Ryan was reminding me to stay in the right-hand lane, a car came up behind me and followed me as I switched to the right lane. I got a pit in my stomach as I realized who it was. It was my friendly, Missouri State Trooper. I knew I wasn't going that fast but, when the lights started flashing behind me, my palms still got sweaty. The kids were all worried, wondering what I had done to have the police after us. (For the record, the last time I was even pulled over was about 12 years ago, before Ryan and I were even married). When the officer came to the window he explained that he probably wouldn't have pulled me over except that I stayed in the left lane after passing him (and sped back up a little) and that it is Missouri state law that you remain in the right lane unless passing. Who knew? Clearly, I didn't. Thankfully, he was really nice about it and, after clearing my driver's license and making sure I wasn't a fugitive, he let me go with a warning. Lesson learned: stay in the right-hand lane unless passing. Ryan was right. To his credit, he was kind enough not to rub it in too much. 

P.S. This right-hand lane law can't exist in Iowa. There were SOOOO many drivers just cruising along in the left lane completely unaware of anyone behind them or the fact that they should move over. So annoying!

5 comments:

Kath said...

It sounds like that was a bored trooper. He was looking for something to pull you over for. JMO

Laura said...

I do the same exact thing and have received grief from others :)

Hansen said...

We live in Rochester, MN and you're right, it is definitely a different kind of cold! It got down to -30 a couple of weeks ago!

San Diego Spendloves said...

Thanks for the lesson...I certainly didn't know that was a law.

Melanie said...

If it makes you feel any better, Dave would get those tickets by the 1000s!!! : ) Maybe we need one of those laws in Utah . . . hahahaha